Crisis response teams are comprised of school social workers, school psychologist, and school counselors. The purpose of Crisis Response to a traumatic event is to provide immediate support and assistance to those in need, while re-establishing normalcy in the school as quickly as possible.? ( & )
Examples of School Crisis
- Death of a student, a staff member, or a community member whose death affects a significant portion of the school population
- Major environmental crisis, such as a flood or fire
- Situation that involves a threat to the physical safety of students, such as a schoolbus accident, even in the absence of injuries
- Assessment & coordination of immediate crisis intervention services needed?
- Classroom defusion for students & staff??
- Individual crisis intervention?
- Group crisis intervention??
- Referrals to community resources??
- Ongoing support counseling services for days following event??
- Follow-up consultation?
When the crisis response team is activated at a school site, the parents of students who received individual and/or group counseling are notified by letter or phone call.
In Case of Emergency, Dial 9-1-1